V-Spring Variable Force Springs
Vulcan Spring is a leading designer and manufacturer of variable force springs, also called variable tension springs. V-Spring is Vulcan Spring’s brand name for its variable force spring, a brand that is well known and highly respected for quality throughout the world. V-Spring variable force springs are used in Point-of-Purchase (POP) displays, where the V-Spring delivers dependable variable force to precisely match increasing or decreasing force requirements as displays are filled and emptied.
Most V-Spring variable force springs are positive gradient springs. Negative gradient variable force springs are also available.
Custom Variable Force Springs
As completely customized solutions, V-Springs are manufactured to the exact display and product specifications without compromising delivery or price. The expertise and experience of Vulcan Spring’s engineers are best utilized early in the product design phase. There are many different variable force spring design possibilities for any given application.
Contact Vulcan Spring for custom variable force springs to consult with a Vulcan Spring engineer.
Applications / Uses for Variable Force Springs
V-Spring variable force springs are specially designed and manufactured for use in Point-of-Purchase (POP) displays that use flat steel springs.
These positive gradient variable force springs push the product forward in horizontal POP displays or upwards in vertical displays to keep the product visible, neat and orderly, so customers will purchase more. Horizontal POP displays with variable force springs are preferable to gravity feed displays because they save valuable space - a huge consideration in retail displays.
Technical Considerations for V-Spring Variable Force Springs
Variable force springs are typically specified and engineered with the following in mind:
- Spring size - length of travel, maximum diameter, maximum available width for spring
- Product information - weight and dimensions of product
- Materials - Type 301 stainless steel typically produces the best part at the lowest cost. High-carbon steel, Inconel and other materials are suggested when required.
- Life in total estimated number of cycles - the life of the variable force spring is very predictable. A life cycle is an extension and retraction of either the whole spring or any portion of it. A low estimate of the life will lead to early failure. A high estimate (the more common error) makes the spring larger and more expensive than is necessary.
- Force requirements - the force of the spring should be equal to the requirement of the application. The normal tolerance for a variable force spring is +/-10%
- End detail - Vulcan Spring has many standard dies to create the end detail for variable force springs. The image shows some that are available. Special end designs can be made for a normal charge.
- Angle of Displacement - from 0° to 90°
How to Work with Vulcan Spring for Variable Force Springs
Vulcan Spring works with customers at various stages of their product development process, from prototype to production. Vulcan Spring specializes in design and engineering services for early-stage development. The design and engineering process often begins with sending the POP display unit and product to Vulcan Spring. Vulcan Spring will then confidentially custom engineer the variable force spring to the unit.
Vulcan Spring’s Manufacturing Process for Variable Force Springs
Vulcan Spring utilizes customized equipment, lean manufacturing techniques and principles, and ISO 9001:2008 certified procedures to provide our customers with a streamlined and efficient manufacturing process.
Benefits of working with Vulcan Spring include reduced lead times, high quality control and highly competitive costs.
Contact Vulcan Spring for Custom V-Spring Variable Force Springs
Complete the V-Spring variable force spring specification form for further assistance with custom variable force springs from Vulcan Spring.